Thursday, June 9, 2011

I am a Horrible Mother

At least according to Ethan. The school that my boys go to during the school year offers 2 summer programs. one is called summer school. It is Mon-Thurs 9-11:45. They concentrate the time on math and computers. The other program is called summer enrichment. This starts after the summer school is over (June 30) and is every Tues and Thurs 9-11:45. I signed both boys up for these programs. (The school also does free lunch everyday for kids 18 and under so the boys stay for lunch.) Ethan told me this afternoon that the school program is dumb. He says that they are repeating alot of what they have already done, and that he shouldn't have to go. I told him that if he didn't go then everything he learned during the school year he would forget and then he would start the 4th grade with a blank mind. He says that he shouldn't have to do school during summer. I dissagree. In other contries around the world the kids go to school almost all year. I believe that for Ethan to have a better chance in the next year it is better for him to go to the summer programs. I wonder if he'll thank me later, but I doubt it.

I talked to other moms in the area and they asked me what I do with my kids during the summer. I told them that I signed them up for the school things and they aswered me by saying that they couldn't send their kids to school during the summer. When I asked why they said because it's mean. I don't see how it's mean, but when they are complaining that their kids are bored all day and are driving them nuts I'll try not to say 'I Told you so'!

2 comments:

Christa said...

I think moms are entitled to inspiration about their kids. If you feel like your kids need summer school, then they probably do! And good for you! I'm dying already and it's only 4 days out, my kids are bored, my house is destroyed, and I am completely desperate for ANYTHING to do! I'm wishing I had signed my kids up!!! So anyway, just wanted to give you some validation. Mother knows best!!! I'm horrible at this, but don't let what other moms say get to you. You're doing great!! Your boys are so cute!

Lisa said...

My dear daughter....you don't need to listen to anyone...I agree with Christa! You're doing a great job! Keep those little minds occupied! Love, Mom