Thursday, July 14, 2011

I'm Thankful for Now.

I don't know why, but ever since I started learning about the history of the world I have been very interested on war. Not the violence of it, but the people. I see pictures of the people fighting or being affected by what's going on and I want to get to know that person. I want to know what they were thinking (although by some of the faces you already know).
Lately I've watched a couple shows about WWII and the Jewish people. I had no idea that before they sent alot of the people to the camps they sent them to Warsaw to a Ghetto. Pretty much a few square miles for thousands of Jewish people walled off from the rest of Poland. Many people starved, or died of some diease brought on by the horrid conditions. Many people would leave their dead on the sidewalk for people to step over until some men with a cart came to collect them and bring them to the cemetary. There was a propaganda film shot in May of 1942 showing set-ups of Jewish people out at resturants, or at the theater, or something like that. It was made to convince the outside world that the Jewish people were not being mistreated. During these set-ups you had to behave the way they told you to, or pay the price. The film crew also filmed what was really happening in the ghetto. People that were starving, people getting punished for trying to smuggle food in from the outside. Children walking past corpses. Just 2 months after the Germans finished filming this video the deportaions started. Thousands of people hauled off to camps to die. The film was never finished. You can see where they have set-ups and then the real life intertwined with eachother.
Things like this make me very thankful for the time I live in. Things are expencive and the world is in a huff, but I am not forced to live with my family in one room without food. I am allowed to be a human. I don't understand those that say the holocaust never happened. Haven't they seen the images of the men and women barely able to walk because they are so skinny? Haven't they seen the pictures of those people forced to build the buildings that they would later be murdered in?
I feel I need to have an open mind toward all things, but if I open it too far it could be dangerous. Instead of living for the present I think we should live for the future. Every decision that is made affects that of someone's future. Too many people are just living for the present. That's where everything can go wrong.
I am thankful for my family and for the fact that I live now.

1 comment:

Enjoying Our Journey said...

This is an awesome post Cari. I did not know about the cities you spoke of. I am also interested in that kind of history for the same reasons you are. I also think living for the future is the best. Thanks for your post.